Monday, August 21, 2017

Finally, A Little Time Found For Stitching.......

We needed to make some new prayer flags for a trunk show we are shipping soon, so happy dance for me....I got to stitch....play time.
Using a pattern called Flora and Fauna by Susan Edmonson Designs

As I layed them out and played a little with what I thought I would do I could feel my blood pressure going down....ahhh! Happily pulled out all my supplies and got down to business.


Sorry this one got a bit dark (tried to lighten it a bit and it really looked sad), I actually wound up cutting out 4 different colorways of leaves, before settling on these.  
 
 
This shows most of the stitching done, the reason for the pins in the ric-rac is because the background needs some seed stitches, then I can put on the backing and complete the stitching.

Here I played with putting the ric-rac down one side or both sides.  I love love using our hand-dyed ric-rac, using it even for flower buds and flowers.  Yummy!
As you can see I finally decide on using it only on one side, gathered rayon seam binding is on the bottom of the flag. 


 As I was working on the flag below, I kept laying skeins of thread on it to "audition" them, I tend to work intuitively, which means I always have things auditioning when I am working.  Also if you look at the piece and think the leaves on the larger left flower look heavier, that's because they are.  I used some of our hand-dyed floss and did not realize that I had separated the threads unevenly...until I went to re-thread my needle.  Go with the flow was my policy....so the fly stitch leaves on the other two are finer.



 Decided I liked the size of the buttons, so stitched them on and finished embroidering the flag.
On the last flag below, have absolutely fallen in love with this color combination.  The background is our Spicey Mustard Osnaburg and the skinny strip is our Stream. 

 However, no matter how happy I was with the color combination...it needed a little "pop" of color....in comes our Tuscan Perle Cotton.....it really did the trick in my opinion, really making the piece sing.


 The reason for these two photo's is because after stitching around the top flower in our Butternut Perle Cotton, then I wondered if it was too bold.....so I wondered if maybe I should use our Stream Perle Cotton that I used for the French Knots in our Rayon Seam Binding instead.  Sent them to Kristin in a text....her input was that the gold was good.  Yippee!
Think I am happy with these flags, can hardly wait to finish them and ship them out.  These are so fun to make that I have to admit my fingers are itching to make more.....don't be surprised to see more to come.



Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: