Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Few Other New Pieces.....

This spring we decided to make all new pieces for our market booth.  I think it looked really great...
This quilt is called "Posies", all work was created using our 5 new colors and a couple of our other colors. The pattern will soon be available.  Kristin purposely limited our palette to see what we would come out with, I believe we hit a home run.

Since we offer yardage, we have been making more larger quilts and clothing, so here are a couple of little girl dresses made from our linen.

We then started discussing creating a couple of little pieces using traditional quilt patterns, but giving them a Fiber on a Whim twist.
This little modified bargello style piece was created using our new fat quarter pack called, Fresca.  Once Kristin was done hand stitching, quilting and finishing, she turned it over to me to embellish,  a little embroidery and sparkly beads and it was done.

I will try to get some good photos of the remainder of the pieces now that Kristin is home from market and before she leaves to vend at QSDS-Quilt and Surface Design Symposium in Columbus, OH.

Thanks for stopping by.



Thursday, May 18, 2017

Finished Before Spring Market.....

I cannot believe that we actually managed to finish all new work for our booth at Spring Quilt Market being held in St. Louis, MO this weekend. Daughter dear announced before we left for our artist in residency in Paducah, KY that we were going to limit the colors we would be using to our 5 new colors and a couple others.  It was our lofty plan to create all new pieces using those 5 new colors, with me kicking and screaming....I could not imagine making enough pieces to fill the walls our our booth with such a limited palette.  Over the next several days I will share photos of the finished work and hopefully some shots of our actual booth.

A couple of years ago we began creating pieces we refer to as our "textured collages", so naturally the plan was to create something in that style.  These pieces are a collaboration between us, Kristin lays out the background, does some hand stitching and chooses a photo transfer to be used which tends to set the theme.  She chose a bird photo to transfer for both these piece,  this shouldn't be a surprise we seem to each have favorite things we use in our work.  Then they are passed to me and I embellish them with embroidery and "stuff" my favorite part.




Even though we limited our colors, these 2 pieces show how differently fabrics with varied fiber contents take the same dyes.   Our multi dyes which we do in cotton, organdy and cheesecloth allow us to have some great variations to use. 

Check back to see more of  our new creations. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

My Hands Have Not Been Idle........

Since the last blog I have been hand stitching like crazy to finish up all our new pieces for our booth at Quilt Market in St. Louis next week.  Some of the pieces are collaborations with my daughter and others are pieces we created individually.  Over the coming week I will show you what we have been up to.  All of the pieces have been started and/or finished in Paducah this year during our artist in residency.  After each residency we are always amazed at how much we have accomplished.

The first four prayer flags are Susan Edmonson Designs, I love Susan's designs and they work up well in our products.

For this flag I wanted to use our hand-dyed cheesecloth and I really like the sunflower design from Kathi Campbell of Heart to Hand as seen in her pattern Pocket Potpourri.  I added our hand-dyed ric-rac in both sizes, a bit of wool and a fantastic piece of vintage hand-dyed lace by Wendy Richardson of Quilt Tapestry Studio.
 With my confidence mounting I went "rogue"....in these last two flags I used a variety of products I wanted to highlight.  In the purple flag I created the flowers from wool, I had been dying to create 3 dimensional wool flowers versus the usual hand applique flowers I am used to doing, further embellishing with our hand-dyed rayon seam binding and lace. 
On this final flag I used our ric-rac to create the flowers it was fun and I love how they turned out.
Stay tuned over the next few days to see the rest of the work we will be hanging in our booth over  the course of the next year.