Friday, January 13, 2017

Not Enough Time To Play....

Do you ever come to the end of the day and wonder where your time went?  I know, we did get quite a bit accomplished today (I will remember to take a photo of the pretties drying on the line tomorrow), but I did not find enough time to play...actually I didn't "take" any time to play.  First rule is to acknowledge that it is up to me to "make/take" time for play/art/creative work...whatever you want to call it.  I know it is on my shoulders to do this and I actually feel like I let myself down.

This past weekend I did make my planner/art journal a priority and spent many hours in my studio.  First thing was to play with color and collage on all of this month's pages.  After doing the first week of January's spread I thought maybe the color was too strong even through the gesso knocked it back a bit...I had used Golden Fluid Acrylics in my favorite color combo...
So I gathered up as many different watercolor products as I could find in my mess of a studio that I showed you in a previous blog post.  First up for the next weeks spread was Windsor Newton watercolors.
After deciding to mimic the first weeks color palette I set to work, once everything was dry I divided up the space for the seven days using a piece of handmade paper, washi tape, hand painted Lutradur and a piece of a restaurant napkin ring. Got to admit that was fun digging through a bin of what I call my recycled collage papers and so very relaxing.  I doodled a bit but....
my formidable studio assistant thought that she would lend a bit of help, well it's all rather new to her.  Blackie has only been with us two years in May, she was my in-laws beloved companion and after my mother in-law passed she came to live in the Deep South.  Now you have to understand life with two elderly people was quiet and she was a northern Midwestern kitty who traveled via car over 1000 miles to find that my studio was the safest room in a house with two dogs.  So when I start working/playing in "my" studio...really her room (maybe if I asked permission she would allow me my tools) however she is always interested...curious.  You should see what happens when I use the sewing machine....anyway I digress....

I do think the pages are softer, but it didn't make any difference in the ability to read what I wrote down.  Sure would be easier to travel with this planner/art journal and my Windsor Newton compact pan set, I will show you what the other watercolor mediums turned out like in a future post.  For now I think it's time to call it a night.




No comments: