Wednesday, January 4, 2017

New Year, Jump Start Needed....


 Do you ever wonder where a year has gone?  Does this happen as we get older or is it really true that "time flies when your having fun"?  I don't know which way to point the finger...as I am getting older and  I am having fun, most of the time.  Looking back at the lack of posts this past year on this blog I cannot believe how few I wrote, don't really have an excuse as we were not on the road as much, but we sure did seem to be busy.  I always feel that I need to have something creative to share, or beautiful photos of scenery to inspire you with.

Well I must admit that I haven't really felt all that creative over the last couple of years (some would argue with me), seems like I have just been "making" things for the booth, to show how to use our products or dyeing fabrics and fibers. Not that this is bad, but it seems to leave me drained for my own work.  As a creative person this has happened to me before, I do know I just need to go into my studio and create.   Over the years I have worked in many mediums, concentrating the last 20 years on mixed media, my way.  That was when I started combining fabric, beads, found objects and paper to express myself.  However, working just on paper has never felt natural, consciously or unconsciously I have always felt the pull, a desire to do so, but fear of failure...not being good enough stops me every time.   One of my grandmothers painted in watercolor, worked in pen and ink; she would have said she grabbed whatever was nearby in order to express herself creatively.  When someone close to you is so good at what they do it can be quite intimidating...this I need to shake off...time to conquer what scares me the most.
 

Hold onto that thought, it's a new year and the mail comes, bringing with it the new Cloth Paper Scissor magazine. Now honestly we have gotten this magazine for years....the only thing I can think of is "right time, right place"....Dawn DeVries Sokols' article on a one-of a kind planner just struck a cord.  The planners I've been using the past few years don't give me much space daily and I have always been a "doodler"....perfect.  The more I mulled this project over the more it seemed a perfect way to cure what ails me...procrastination to take time out to be creative just because I want to.  Ta-Da!  So here goes....fear aside I have started....

Not a work of art, but a way to play with paints, inks, gel mediums, gesso and all that ephemera I have been collecting for years.  Now back to reality...
Ironing all this osnaburg....there are actually 2 chairs down at the end of this table, holding all this fabric, at least I hope so...cause it would be really frightening if that "heap" was from the floor to the top shelf of that book case...don't you think??

Happy New Year Everyone....may it be a fabulous year!!!


No comments: