Sunday, May 28, 2017

A Few More........

I believe we made 8 new pieces of work, 7 prayer flags and 2 little girls dresses while in Paducah. In this post I will show you the remainder of the pieces.

This piece was created using "Collage Your Creativity" a pattern by Susan Edmonson Designs.  Over the last few months we have been displaying one of Susan's pieces in our booth, and we decided to work one up in our new colors.  This was a fun piece to make.

When Kristin finished creating the stacked landscape portion of the piece below I thought she had lost her mind, my thoughts were along the line of "how on earth was I going to do anything with this one".  It hung on the wall of the studio in Paducah for almost 2 weeks before I realized I was excited by the colors.  We started collaborating using this style a few years ago, we have learned that we look at them very differently.  She sees something, I see something, so when she turns them over to me to embroider and finish it usually is surprising to see the finished work.

This one caused me just a bit of grief, I tried several different stitches and colors of thread, tearing most of them out.  The color was either overwhelming or the stitching came across as out of proportion for the piece. After finally finishing the embroidery I was very perplexed...what color should the background quilty mat be to not overwhelm or fight with it.  "We" decided on our parchment and Kristin suggested I quilt it with trees as I had done several years ago on another quilt.  I think it sets of the "stacked landscape" portion well.

 This quilt was created using the Ripple pattern by Sew Many Creations.  You may have seen another version of this quilt in our booth at shows....that one was given to a dear friend.  Kristin is always happy to stitch up a quilt top using this pattern, she absolutely loves the how this pattern is written.
 
The little quilt below is a "tweaked" version of a Drunkards Path.  Sorry I cannot find a better photo of the finished piece which combines hand stitching and machine stitching.  
 These 2 pieces were begun at Paducah during our 2016 stay and finished during our stay this year.  Color wise they turned out to be a perfect fit to complement our newest work so they hung at market and our hanging in our booth at QSDS in Columbus, Ohio for the next couple of weeks.  If you are near the Columbus College of Art and Design in downtown Columbus check it out.
In order to spend time in my studio over the next couple of weeks I will have to work around spending time with my grandson....for many of you this is how summer vacation goes.  Stay tuned if I'm not totally exhausted I hope to finish two garments I have underway and I have plans for six new prayer flags.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: