Monday, October 8, 2012

Wow! No Work....Just Creative Playtime

We just attended the "Once in a Blue Moon Fiber Art Retreat" with Susan Brubaker Knapp in Black Mountain, NC, which is near Asheville, a lovely mountain town with a very artsy vibe.  It was a lovely time with old friends and new.  Twenty-five of us descended from far and near to spend a few days with Susan and learn just a bit about how she creates her fabulous fiber art pieces.

Susan's photo of Barnhart Lodge at historic Blue Ridge Assembly YMCA, first enticed us to check out her retreat further.  I mean really wouldn't you. Once we got a glimpse of her photo's of the projects we knew we were hooked.

                                              
Susan's photo of the Passion flower sealed the deal for Kristin and her photo of the pumpkins was all it took for this October born Mom.
As always the hardest part is choosing the fabrics you want to do "your" project in.  Susan's supply lists were very good with the above color photos included, so we each tackled the round up and fretted that we had everything we would need.  We tried not to take too much with us so that we would all fit in the car.  You know how hard it is not to take your entire thread collection with you, cause you know you just might need the one you left behind....I do think we should each pat ourselves on the back....maybe Kristin more than Mom, cause I wound up buying 3 spools from Carol Britt of Batiks Etc.
Kristin chose the above colorway for her Passion flower and I chose the colorway below for my pumpkins.
Here is a peak at our "ironing center" which really made it hard to return to the work room....
Taking photos off the porch was our biggest distraction, especially these little beauties which seemed to multiply and change each day.  I heard someone rocking comment on how when the sun hit them they actually had a copper glow....


Kristin's Passion flower is wonderful, she managed to finish all her tracing, fusing and thread sketching....and you wonder why I call her the "Energizer Bunny"!  By the time I get home next week she will probably have it finished.

These are my version of the pumpkins, they photograph nicely....however I wish there was just a tad of variation/contrast, "something" in the gray ones to the back.  Am hoping I can fix them during thread sketching...but that brings me back to the thread issue and not working in my own studio.   I will try to finish mine this week but don't hold your breath.....my walks on the beach may take priority.
I will blog soon about my home away from home studio, cause after arriving back in Atlanta, I just shifted my stuff to a different car and head further south.

No comments: