Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My 12 Connected Challenge Piece for the "Bird" Theme: "Blue Bird, Blue Bird" by Jan Girod

Tomorrow, June 1st is the day for the 12 Connected Group to unveil their latest challenge and I realized that I had not posted the April 1st challenge, here it is.
When the word for this challenge was announced I leapt with joy as I have been using these birds in my work quite frequently....this would be so easy. At midnight last night (March 31st)as I stitched away I was thinking, oh what a fool you are, but it is done and I feel absolute relief. For several years now I keep finding myself using trees and birds in piece after piece....sketchbook too. I have attributed it to growing up in Minnesota, following behind my uncle who became a wildlife biologist. My friends never did get my affinity for snakes, oh well to each his own.
I began with a unique piece of hand painted fabric I had been saving for a special project, it fit perfectly. The branches are drawn in freehand and colored using Derwent Inktense Pencils...love using them. Once everything had dried I transferred on the birds using TAP-Transfer Artist Paper. Leaves are a combination of painted Wonder-Under, sheer fabrics and free motion quilting.









No comments: