Saturday, September 11, 2010

Creativity Explodes...maybe it was just me!

Would you believe this studio was cleaned recently? Really it was. Usually I do this before I start a new project, there is something about touching all those fibers and “stuff” that stimulates my creative juices.

Surprise!

We found it was time to create examples for our proposals for MIU (Make It University) this November at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. The ideas began percolating a couple of months ago while brainstorming over soup and salad at Chili’s. No time left to procrastinate (favorite pastime)….the deadline is now. Help! The only thing to do is dump all those “bitz” of stuff out in plain sight. That’s my excuse for this mess and I’m sticking to it.
The last few years I have really been into journals (yeah I know they are hot right now...I have years of them on the shelves). However I am only happy when I incorporate “bitz”, those can be anything from papers, fabrics, random fiber, found objects and words. While prepping for vending at the Believe Retreat in Blowing Rock, North Carolina I rediscovered Glimmer Mist…somehow those bottles just appeared amid my mess, but the shimmer was just what my project needed.


Kristin needed a place to work (sharing space isn't what we do well)….a sweep of her arm and she cleans a corner of the table for her work space. She’s into collage using fabric, paper, together or on their own…nothing is safe when she gets in the groove. But first she makes up a product sample….have you seen Jess Italia Lincolns’ Altered Metal Journals in the September/October 2010 issue of cloth.paper.scissors magazine? Great project!





No comments: